NASW-NJ LEGISLATIVE AGENDA:
NASW NJ advocates for:
- Those working with children to be trained to understand the importance of working with the whole family and addressing all environmental factors in a culturally competent way.
- Increased resources to support community – based child neglect and abuse prevention activities and family support programs.
- Legislation and efforts that support the achievement of economic stability for all children and families.
- Increased support and funding of NJ Family Success Centers so families and children can thrive.
- Funding of ongoing quality services to protect children affected by poverty, abuse, neglect, trauma, family violence, behavioral, health and mental health issues, developmental disabilities, and substance use.
- Funding and increased availability of quality child care for all NJ families.
- Increasing funding and access to preschool programs for all NJ children.
- Improved safety and security in schools and communities so children/families can focus on education and overall child well-being.
- Ensuring that all children have access to fully funded community-based healthcare.
- Continued monitoring of NJ’s child welfare reform plan.
- Continued funding, development, and training of staff within the Children’s System of Care (CSOC) and DCF’s Child Protection and Permanency (CP&P) unit.
- Cost of living increases for reimbursement rates of contractual services provided within the CSOC and CP&P to maintain quality providers for families in the system.
- Continued oversight to ensure CP&P is committed to supporting children and families through collaboration with partner entities throughout their protection and permanency efforts.
- Increased support and expansion of School Based Health Centers.
- Increased funding and expansion of Head Start programs.
- Support funding for Infant Mental Health programs to improve outcomes for children and families.
- Promotion of incentives for BSWs and MSWs to pursue careers in child welfare.